We know how important it is to keep a knife in our reach for everyday purposes. But we seldom think of giving children to use one. However, at present parents feel that their teenagers are old enough for more responsibilities. Keeping that in mind, it is high time that teenagers own a pocket knife for their activities. As a consumer, you will want to provide the best knives available. For this reason, we have compiled here a list of the best pocket knives for teenagers.
A good pocket knife, whether for teenagers or adults, must have some basic qualities. It needs to be sharp enough to get the job done, but also safe. To ensure that the knife stays safe in the pockets, the lock mechanism should be top-notch. But mostly, the pocket knife should be interesting for a teenager.
Have a read through this article to learn more about different knives, and get tips to know about the most suitable pocket knife.
Why should you carry a pocket knife?
Pocket knives have several uses, and sometimes you can’t do without one. You can do so much with a pocket knife, whether indoors or in the wild. Even though this knife looks quite simple, it is very convenient. For teenagers, this knife can work as a beginner’s tool. Here we have listed some of the uses of pocket knives:
- Since this is easy to carry and resistant to damages, you can use the knife for defense.
- A pocket knife is a good replacement for a toolbox.
- If you want to start a fire outdoors, then a pocket knife can help you to cut branches.
- Perhaps, the most common need for any knife, including this one, is for cooking.
- When you want to eat outside, you need to hunt or fish, for which a pocket knife will become helpful.
- For outdoor activities like camping, you need a pocket knife to make a camp, digging, mapping, etc.
- The last thing is simply to cut any kind of item, like ropes or wires.
Can a teenager carry a pocket knife?
“A sharp knife cuts the quickest and hurts the least.”
So, even though knives are sharp, parents can easily give their teenagers pocket knives for use. If it is sharp enough it will cause fewer injuries, surprisingly. Moreover, if the users are trained properly, they can use the pocket knife with care. Although knife laws aren’t the same in every area, pocket knives don’t have any legal issues. Moreover, pocket knives are the safest tools for beginners. It is important to check the laws about carrying a pocket knife in your area before getting one to avoid problems. Teenagers can easily learn how to use and care for a pocket knife. You can opt for knives below three inches in size to remain safe.
Types of pocket knives-
Pocket knives come in different styles and individual characteristics.
|Type of Pocket Knife||Feature|
|Camper Knife||Includes all the necessary tools|
|Canoe Knife||Two small blades come from opposite sides to one point|
|Pen Knife||Thin blades with a sharp tip on either side|
|Jack Knife||One blade on a hinge|
|Trapper Knife||Two curved blades on a trapper|
|Congress Knife||Four different blades with two on each side|
|Sheepsfoot Knife||Straight blade but with a curve on the tip|
|Tanto Knife||Thick and angled blade|
|Tactical Folding Knife||Basic blade knife with a clip on the handle|
In case you are in a hurry, read this brief description of the products for a quick understanding.
- ALBATROSS EDC Cool Sharp Tactical Folding Pocket Knife- The best camping knife with a stylish look.
- Smith & Wesson Extreme Ops SWA24S 7.1in S.S. Folding Knife- An easy-to-fold knife with various uses.
- SHARPAL 101N 6-In-1 Pocket Knife: The handiest knife sharpening tool.
- GVDV Pocket Folding Knife- The ultimate all-purpose knife for beginners.
- Outdoor Edge 3.0″ RazorLite EDC – Replaceable Blade Folding Knife- A very convenient and simple knife.
By comparing the products and their features, we can understand more about their advantages and flaws.
|ALBATROSS EDC Folding Pocket KnifeSmith & Wesson Folding Knife||4.5 ounces||Stainless Steel||Liner-lock System|
|Smith & Wesson Extreme Ops Folding Knife||3.48 ounces||Aluminum||Liner-lock System|
|SHARPAL 101N 6-In-1 Pocket Knife Sharpener||1.6 ounces||Soft Rubber cover||None|
|GVDV Pocket Folding Knife||7.4 ounces||Hard Wood||Liner-lock System|
|Outdoor Edge 3.0″ RazorLite EDC – Folding Knife||2.1 ounces||Grivory with rubberized TPR inserts||Push Button Lock|
01. ALBATROSS EDC Cool Sharp Tactical Folding Pocket Knife
ALBATROSS EDC Cool Sharp Pocket Knife is great for multitasking with amazing features. Since it is tactical, the knife is very sharp to slice or pierce anything in different tasks. The knife excels in the sharpness of the blade to increase its efficiency in handling tasks. Teenagers will find the knife safe to use, consistent and reliable.
A pocket clip will help to attach the knife easily to the pocket and take it out when needed. In addition, the blade is made of stainless steel to resist corrosion, and for an occasional tune-up. The spring-assisted mechanism allows rapid opening of the knife with one hand. The knife then securely stays in place for the lock system.
Moreover, the handle has a hollow-up design for a comfortable grip. This kind of handle also reduces the weight and is more dynamic. A carbide tip will allow you to break hard substances like glass in emergencies. Overall, a seamless product for the regular use of teenagers and the best survival pocket knife. The design is so elegant that you can also make it a present.
- Smooth opening system to rapidly flip up the blade using one hand.
- Safety is intact for firmly keeping the blade locked.
- Durable materials for resistance to water, fog, or corrosion.
- We find it lightweight due to the handle design.
- Easy to carry by using the pocket clip.
- Not very easy to close after use.
02. Smith & Wesson Extreme Ops SWA24S 7.1in S.S. Folding Knife
Smith & Wesson have made some exclusive products and their Extreme Ops Folding Knife is no exception. You can be sure to give your teenagers an affordable, but a high-quality pocket knife. They can use it for various purposes without much difficulty. One of the best pocket knives for teenagers that you will find.
Firstly, this knife stands out in its classy design with the full black finish. The blade is made of high-carbon stainless steel that is oxidized for the look and extra sharp edge. This quality is useful to prevent any reflection while used outdoors. Black aluminum makes the handle comfortable, rigid, and lightweight for portability. At the third level of the blade, it is serrated.
For more convenience, there is a sturdy lock, pocket clip, and ambidextrous thumb knobs. You will also get a glass breaker on the handle. Your teenager will be safe with the locking system to avoid any injuries. The compact size also makes the knife suitable to carry in the pocket. Overall, a versatile and reliable tool for teenagers to use in various tasks.
- Handle features a smooth texture and finger indentations to have a firm and comfortable grip.
- A convenient size for a pocket knife and to match a teenager’s hands as we checked.
- Thumb Studs allow for quick opening or closing of the blades.
- The locking mechanism avoids any slip of the blade for inattentive users like me.
- Durable, classic, and reliable tool for use as tested by us.
- We faced some issues with opening the blade and its sharpness.
03. SHARPAL 101N 6-In-1 Pocket Knife
We have a perfect multi-functional tool for your teenager here. SHARPAL 101N 6-In-1 Pocket Knife Sharpener & Survival Tool is needed as an aid to pocket knives. The tool has a V-notch slot with a nice edge and a smooth, ceramic surface. A tapered diamond rod is suitable for
serrations, whistle, or fish hooks.
Due to its compact size, the sharpener is portable including a built-in lanyard hole. Teenagers can easily use this for various outdoor activities. In addition, it works well with kitchen knives. The surface is very sturdy and withstands adverse conditions to remain intact. Place the sharpener at an angle to work easily.
You can easily sharpen blunt blades, serrated knives’ edges, and razors. Six different features make the sharpener very versatile. Soft grip and durable materials keep the sharpener good as new for a long time. Undoubtedly, this is a very effective and comfortable tool for your teenager.
- Six different parts in the sharpener make it a multifunctional tool.
- We have found the sharpener very tactical, portable, and comfortable.
- All the different features are very easy to use for teenagers.
- You can easily adjust the optimal angle to sharpen.
- Teenagers can keep this tool in their pockets for various purposes with safety.
- There are no rubber strips to hold it steady while in use.
04. GVDV Pocket Folding Knife
GVDV Pocket knife is quite large but very versatile for different activities. No compromise is made in the material build and overall performance. Stainless steel blade remains rust-free and helps in cutting different things with good sharpness.
Due to the size and sharpness, safety is ensured with a liner-lock system and a belt clip. A protective case is also given to store and carry the knife in the pocket. The wooden handle gives a comfortable grip and is very sturdy. Apart from all these, the design is very eye-catching to interest a teenager.
The knife is very easy to open and close, and the security lock prevents any unwanted cases. But you need both hands to open it. Even with the size, the knife is still lightweight. The extra coating is given to the blades for further protection. Such an ergonomic knife is a great item for a gift to a beloved and your teenager as well.
- High-quality 7Cr17 stainless steel blades are rust, water, and damage-resistant.
- The wooden handle is eco-friendly, elegant, and comfortable to use.
- A belt clip and the compact size are very suitable for carrying around as we have seen.
- A multi-purpose knife that suits not only a pocket knife but also domestic functions.
- We liked that the package includes a flannel bag, box, and sharpening stone for storage.
- Since it has no spring assistance, the knife doesn’t smoothly open or close.
05. Outdoor Edge 3.0″ RazorLite EDC – Replaceable Blade Folding Knife
Outdoor Edge brings you a valuable and durable knife for teenagers. The blades are very sharp and strong and can be replaced easily with the extra blades provided. You can easily remove the damaged blade and put in the new one by pushing only a button.
The blade is coated with black oxidation for the added strength. In addition, heat treatment is also done for sharpness. The rubber handle is suitable for a firm and comfortable grip. You can easily open or close the knife blade with the double-sided thumb stud using only one hand. A pocket clip is helpful to keep the knife intact.
This knife comes in three different color handles and six replacement blades. However, you have to get them separately. Overall, a stylish knife for beginners with several features to keep the knife fresh. You may not need to sharpen it again for a long time. For clumsy users, this knife can’t go wrong.
- We find the knife easy and safe to open and close.
- A blade holder positions the blades for extra strength.
- One knife will last a long time for the replacement blades.
- All the blades are equally sharp and resistant to damages.
- Convenient and comfortable handles for teenagers to use for a long time.
- Front closing may seem risky if not handled with care.
Tips for the Best Pocket Knife for Teenagers
Material: Stainless steel is the best for any knife. Regardless of the material, the knife must be hard, tough, and rust-resistant.
The number of blades: More than one blade will be helpful, but this still depends on your needs.
Locking system: Locking might be manual, switchable, or automatic. But the mechanism should be efficient.
Handle: Along with the blade, the handle should also be durable, lightweight, and easy to grip.
Design: Check different models and designs that will interest your teenager.
Type of blades: Apart from sharpness, get the tip curve that suits the teenager’s needs.
Weight: The knife should be lightweight and compact to keep in the pocket and carry around.
What are the qualities of a teenager’s pocket knife?
There are still some important factors in a pocket knife to consider so that it becomes suitable for a teenager’s pocket knife. They will then be interested more to properly use the knife.
- No matter the number of blades, the pocket knife needs to be multi-functional.
- The pocket knife should be compact and portable for comfort.
- A proper lock mechanism is very important for pocket knives to avoid risks.
- It is recommended to get less than 4-inch blades to follow knife laws.
- Teenagers can easily open or close the knife for use.
- Both the blade and handle materials must be durable.
Which areas allow teenagers to use a pocket knife?
Pocket knives are allowed in most of the states. Usually, there is no restriction with the use, but the laws don’t allow concealed carry of these knives. For teenagers, check the allowed blade length before getting the pocket knife. Some states also order authoritative guidance for knife use among minors. The states that don’t allow pocket knives are:
Massachusetts, New Jersey, North Carolina, New Mexico, North Dakota
What is the difference between a pocket knife and a penknife?
Pocket knives and pen knives fall in the same category, but they are very different in many ways. Have a look at this table to learn about the differences.
|Pocket Knife||Pen Knife|
|Blades and tools can fold inside the handle.||Users can fold the blade in their hands.|
|Sharp and rigid blades with different shaped tips.||Very sharp blades with firm edges.|
|Two blades on the same side of the handle.||Two blades on opposite sides of the hinge.|
|Very durable blades for heavy work.||Not very strong, so breaks under pressure.|
- At what age can a boy have a pocket knife?
Any child between the ages of eight to eleven can get their first pocket knife. Since pocket knives are considered beginner’s knives, this is very safe to use. But the parents must check if their area allows them to use the particular knife. In addition, parents should guide them to properly use a pocket knife.
- Why is a pocket knife called a jackknife?
A jackknife is a type of pocket knife. The word is theorized to come from the nautical term for jack. This means that a small flag is flown at the “jack staff of a ship”. Sailors were called with this term. Due to the design of the pocket knife, the term coincides with this knife and is named a jackknife.
- How does the blade of the pocket knife remain open?
When the folding part is opened, the tang of the blade rotates in opposition to the back spring. This back spring gives pressure to keep the knife in a fixed, open position. Different pocket knives have different locking mechanisms that cause the knife to remain open.
- How big does a pocket knife become when it is folded?
Usually, a pocket knife in the folded form doesn’t get any bigger than about 15 cm. So, even if the pocket knife you get is quite large, it will become compact as you fold it. This length is suitable to keep the knife in the pocket.
- What is a flipper pocket knife?
A flipper pocket knife, as the name says, allows flipping the knife open mechanism. Using only one hand you can easily open or close the blade. It is very simple, versatile, and quick to use. For this reason, it works great as a self-defense tool.
- What is the best survival pocket knife?
Many pocket knives in the market can function as a great survival weapon. But Any of the CRKT Kommer Free Range Hunter Folding Lockback works as the best wilderness survival knife. It has all the amazing releasing and locking features for use in any action. In addition, the knife is simple to use for any teenager.
- What are the uses of a pocket knife?
Some of the common uses of pocket knives include:
- Daily domestic uses and chores
- Hunting, fishing, or other outside tasks
- Survival or emergency weapons
- Cutting or carving through different materials
- Travel-friendly knife for everyone
- What is the legal length of a pocket knife?
Most of the knives are legal in the states regardless of the length. However, any pocket knife or other knives within the length of 2.75 inches to 4 inches is considered legal to use and for concealed carry. For teenagers or minors, it is better to give them a pocket knife between this length range.
- What are the parts of a swiss army knife?
Swiss army knives are very similar in structure to pocket knives, with various tools in one hinge. The most common parts of this knife are a toothpick, disc saw, tweezers, scissor spring, and screwdriver. All these parts are easily replaceable when needed. To learn more, check the best swiss army knives.
- Is a pocket knife better or a larger knife?
All kinds of knives have similar functions and are only good if the blades are very sharp. It all depends on the purpose of use. However, a pocket knife with large blades can work the same as a large knife. The extra advantage is the portability of pocket knives.
We understand how hard it gets to find the right product when there are a variety of options. So, here we have attempted to provide a list of the best pocket knives for teenagers. We also included all the necessary information for further guidelines. If you have checked this list and guide, now you can set out to get the right one for your teenager.
Last update on 2021-09-16 at 03:29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API